Ethical case study | Accounting homework help
1. Read the case a day or two early…. to think about it. Your assignment is not an opinion survey; it is an argument of logic and evidence supporting that opinion. Your initial feelings are usually right but not easy to explain.
2. Read the Questions closely; be sure you know what is being asked. Write a brief outline of what you want to fit into your one page.
Don’t waste your limited words repeating “facts” of the case
3. Start typing a day early so you can save your draft to edit the next day. Use Spell-checker carefully; it won’t correct “wrong words.”
Have someone read your draft, to see if it really says what you meant to say. Ask what isn’t clear, and what can be left out.
4. Identify the dilemma: explain the ethical support for alternative choices. Contrast reasons using prepositions: “Respect-for___,” versus “Fairness- between_____&_____,” versus “Consequences-of______” issues.
5. Explain the Rights/Respect issues of who ought to have which rights based on promises, expectations, autonomy and dignity, not just laws. Use the phrase: “Respect for____” with our very limited sets of rights & duties: truth, promises, privacy, property, & health/body.
6. Explain the Fairness/Justice issues in terms of treating equals the same and treating people with different of needs and earned differences, differently. Use the phrase: “Fair between ____&___.”
7. Explain the Benefits/Consequences in terms of who, when, size, and certainty of positive and negative consequences. Consider Long Run versus Short Run and use the phrase: “Consequences of______.”
8. Choose one position and explain WHY it is MORE ethical than the alternatives, refuting your support for the other positions. Where there is a dilemma, explain why ethical support for one choice is better than support for the other choices. Explain what about this case makes these ethical reasons more important.