Unit 1 (term 1 discussions)
*Unit 1 DB: The Importance of “Why” (MGT105 Principles of Management)
After completing your readings and resources, think about the TED Talk by Simon Sinek (or you can read a transcript of the video). Then, post your response to the following questions:
- How do you think the four management functions of planning, organizing, leading, and controlling fit in with the ideas Sinek expresses in his talk?
- Give an example from this week’s reading materials that make the connection between each of the four management functions, the Simon Sinek video, and your experiences in real life matters.
- Which function do you think he would say is most important? Why?
In responses to your classmates, make connections between the functions of management and the management roles discussed in your reading (leadership, informational, and decision-making). If applicable, relate any real-world experiences.
*Be sure to familiarize yourself with the weekly Discussion Board expectations and rubric.
*Unit 1 Discussion: Creating Value Though the Marketing Process (MKT200 Principles of Marketing)
The marketing process creates value for both the company and the consumer. For example: customer satisfaction is dependent upon the product’s perceived performance relative to a buyer’s expectations. If the product performs as or better than the customer expected, they are likely satisfied and willing to purchase the product or service again. If the product does not meet customer expectations, the customers will likely not be satisfied and may write a poor review on the company and/or the product.
For this discussion, think of an example of a product (or service) offering that has either met or exceeded your expectations by creating value for you OR did not meet your expectations or create value for you. Write a review of that product/service. Give it a 1-5 star rating (1 being awful and 5 being awesome) and explain why you rated it the way you did.
*Unit 1.1 Discussion: Ethical Principles (PSY102 Fundamentals of Psychology II)
Go to the APA website, and look up “Ethical Principles of Psychologists” and the Code of Conduct
Choose one (choose a different principle than you chose in PSY101) of the ethical principles and answer the following questions:
- Why do you think this principle is important?
- What difficulties might psychologists encounter when applying this principle?
- Describe a real-life situation in which this principle might be used.
*Unit 1.2 Discussion: Ethics in Research (PSY102 Fundamentals of Psychology II)
Consider the video showing Stanley Milgram’s study on obedience.
- In your opinion, does the information gained on obedience justify the means in which it was obtained?
- Do you think using humans and/or animals in psychological research is ethical? Justify your answer.
Milgram Obedience Study
User: n/a – Added: 12/12/11
YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCVlI-_4GZQ
*Unit 1 DB: Issues in Developmental Psychology (PSY201 Child Development)
There are several long-standing issues/debates in the field of Developmental Psychology. These include:
- nature vs. nurture,
- continuity vs. discontinuity, and
- early vs. later experience.
Read about these issues/debates in your textbook and other outside resources. In one or two sentences, explain what is meant by the issue/debate.
Choose one of the issues/debates above.
- Reflecting on your own experience, explain how the issue/debate relates to your development.
- Locate and read a scholarly research article that is relevant to your chosen issue/debate. Summarize the research findings and discuss what you found most interesting about the results. Include the APA article reference.